Web Hosting Canada Careers
Linux Server Administrator (#AS0117)
Web Hosting Canada is looking for a Linux guru, passionate about the management and optimization of web servers using the latest technology and trends to fill an opening as a Linux Server Administrator.
- Ensure optimal operations of our server fleet, including shared, virtualized and dedicated servers
- Optimize LAMP server performance using existing tools and best practices, and research/implement new optimizations based on emerging trends and technologies
- Perform security and performance audits of Apache, MySQL/MariaDB/PostreSQL, Mail servers (Exim), and DNS (Bind)
- Co-ordinate efforts with the customer service team to ensure rapid problem resolution
- Respond to performance, availability, and security incidents in real-time
- Handle and respond to level 2 support requests via chat, helpdesk, and phone
- Write, review and manage internal procedures using our private Wiki
- Help coach junior technicians with higher complexity issues and participate in their ongoing training
- Configure, optimize and deploy new solutions or clusters based on specific client needs.
Required Skills & Experience
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as a LAMP server administrator (Apache or nginx) including handling email reputation issues
- Experience with cPanel/WHM control panel (Plesk an asset)
- Excellent understanding of email protocols (POP/IMAP/SMTP)
- Experience with virtualization technologies such as OpenVZ, KVM, Xen, VMWare, or OpenStack.
- Solid experience with shell Linux commands and command-line server management (bash programming experience a definite asset)
- Good communicator in both French and English, capable of clearly communicating complex concepts to a non-technical audience
- Good understanding of web concepts such as DNS and IPv4/6
- Experience managing and optimizing RDBMS systems such as MySQL and MariaDB
- Working knowledge of common programming languages such as PHP, Perl, and Python
Web Hosting Solutions Specialist (#CS0114)
Web Hosting Canada is seeking a motivated and dynamic candidate to fill an open position as Web Hosting Specialist.
- Provide technical assistance and ensure complete customer satisfaction by phone, chat or via our helpdesk system
- Provide pre-sales assistance to new clients, proposing the right product/service for their needs.
- Perform site transfers from other providers, and between servers within our datacenters
- Manage, register and transfer domains names. Assist clients with DNS-related issues.
- Install, manage, and optimize popular Content Management Systems such as WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, and shopping carts such as OpenCart, PrestaShop, and Magento.
- Work closely with System Administrators to ensure the smooth operations of all servers (shared, virtual, and dedicated)
- Perform security audits and address security escalations
- Escalate complex server issues to the Server Administrators, and ensure continuous follow-up with the client
Required Skills & Experience
- 2+ years of experience with another web hosting company or related field (webmaster, helpdesk, IT infrastructure, etc)
- Extensive management experience with cPanel/WHM
- Excellent written and spoken communication in both French and English
- Experience working in customer service or customer support a strong asset
- Good understanding of email protocols (POP/IMAP/SMTP) and web concepts such as DNS and IP
- Solid understanding of all the components of a LAMP stack, including experience using and managing MySQL and PHP applications.
- Basic understanding of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) concepts
- Basic understanding of shell Linux commands and command-line server management
Working at WHC: the Perks.
- Be part of a successful team that can make a difference. We work hard to help Canadian businesses of all sizes thrive online.
- Work with the latest tools and technologies alongside seasoned veterans in the industry
- 2-week training and onboarding for most new employees
- Montreal office is easily accessible by metro (Beaubien station) and has street parking widely available.
- Performance and profit-sharing bonuses paid out regularly
- Full dental, medical and travel insurance
- We help you stay green by refunding 50% of your STM/Bixi membership if you use it to get to work
- We help you stay fit by refunding 50% of your gym membership (if you promise to go!)
- Lunch is on us every Friday, and coffee is on us every day!