September Domain Price Changes & Promotions
The Internet allows everyone to connect with each other quickly, but this also means that change happens fast. Registries (the governing bodies that operate domains and dictate their pricing) have new September promotions and domain price increases that your business should know about!
How does this impact me?
There are important changes to note for both current and prospective domain owners.
If you own a domain
For those who already own a domain, it is good to note when the price changes will happen so you can prepay your website before a price increase. This will allow you to pay the lower price and save money.
For instance, .CA websites are going up from $12.99 to $13.99 as of October 1st.
Other domains are making a much larger jump!
.AUDIO domains, for example will be rocketing from $23.99 to $239.99 as of September 8th!
This leaves you with 2 options:
- Renew yearly and pay whatever the market demands.
- Prepay a one-time fee to acquire your domain for up to 9 years at the current price. Thus, avoiding market shifts. (go to the domains tab in you client area and then click on renew domain)
If you are shopping for a new domain
If you are thinking of getting a domain, consider buying now before the upsurge in price or to buy while it is on promotion.
Consider registering your domain for multiple years to avoid market fluctuations.
Q: When are most of these changes happening?
A: Most price increases will occur on September 8th, 2017. Many promotions will last until September 30th and cover the first year of domain ownership.
Q: Will I have to stay with WHC for the years I prepay a domain?
A: Not at all. You are merely laying claim to the domain through us, and can transfer out anytime should the need arise.
Q: Can I prepay a promotion?
A: The promotion is only valid for the first year of registration. You can prepay your domain, but after the first year you will pay the current renewal price.
Q: Are there any other benefits to prepaying a domain?
A: Yes! Prepaying for a domain also slightly improves search engine optimization (SEO). Search engines see that you are committed to your site which promotes trust and, subsequently, your ranking score.
Q: How can I see promotions?
A: Go to our domain search page and click the “on Sale” tab on the left-hand side.
Q: Can I get quick rundown of the price increases that will affect WHC clients?
A: Of course!
- .CA domains increase from $12.99 to $13.99 per year as of October 1st, 2017
- .TV domains increase from $43.99 to $49.99 per year as of September 1st, 2017
- .AUDIO domains increase from $23.99 to $239.99 per year as of September 8th, 2017
- .HELP domains increase from $32.99 to $49.99 per year as of September 8th, 2017
- .HOSTING domains (not to be confused with web hosting services!) increase from $46.99 to $649.99 per year as of September 8th, 2017
- .LINK domains increase from $16.99 to $17.99 per year as of September 8th, 2017
Other domain types as well as other hosting products or services are not affected by these increases.