Domain auctions are a process by which WHC Online Solutions Inc. (WHC) will attempt to register highly-desirable .CA domains for you soon after they expire, and just prior to them becoming available for general registration through a process called To Be Released (TBR) in a Drop (“Domain Drop”).
This process is accessible using the Auction tool directly on the WHC website. Domain Drops for .CA domains happen every week on Wednesdays at 19:00 UTC (“Domain Drop Deadline”).
To participate in the Auction process with WHC, you agree to the following Domain Auction terms and conditions:
1. Auction Eligibility Requirements
In order to qualify for a domain name auction, you must:
- Be an active WHC client with an accurate and up-to-date profile in good standing
- If there are no other bidders: Complete your auction request with a minimum entry bid on the WHC website before the Domain Drop Deadline. WHC cannot guarantee that requests completed after this deadline will be honoured.
- For an auction with more than one bidder, you may be able to bid in an existing auction at a later time.
- Comply with our Domain Names Terms & Conditions.
- Have a working and registered credit card on file.
- Pre-Authorize WHC to charge your credit card on file, within 24 hours of winning a domain, in the amount of either:
- The entry bid (also called minimum bid) plus any applicable taxes for the domain in the event that you win the domain and there are no other bidders. This price is shown in Canadian dollars; or
- Your auction bid for the domain plus any applicable taxes, if you hold the winning bid at the time the auction closes. This price is shown in Canadian dollars.
2. Domain Auctions
By using the WHC auction system, you agree to the following:
- Auction basics
- Domains that WHC has secured and which have multiple bidders go to a public auction that other bidders can join at any time before the Auction Close.
- Auction timing
- Auctions for domains that WHC was able to obtain and have multiple bidders start once the Domain Drop has been completed and end at the Auction Close.
- Auction Close Deadline, as indicated in the Auction Center.
- Any bid placed in the last 3 minutes before the Auction Close Deadline will extend the end time of the auction by 3 minutes.
- Winning an auction
- The highest bidder at the end of the auction period wins the right to register the domain name with WHC, subject to the Domain Names Terms & Conditions.
- The auction winner is responsible for the management and future renewals of their domain name once the domain has been assigned to them, with such renewals available through WHC at our regular domain renewal rates, as displayed on the WHC website.
- Bidding in auctions
- At the beginning of the auction, the highest minimum entry bid becomes the highest bid. In the case of two entry bids for the same amount, the first bid submitted will be the highest bid.
- Eligible clients can add or increase their bids from their Client Area, in the Auction Center before the Auction Close Deadline
- The minimum bid increment is:
- $10 for auctions of less than $500
- $50 for auctions between $500-$5000
- $100 for auctions exceeding $5000
- When placing a new bid, you must enter your maximum bid.
- If your maximum bid entered is higher than the leading bidder’s maximum bid, your bid will be the new highest bid. In this case, the value of the new highest bid will be determined as follows: the maximum bid of the previous highest bidder, plus the minimum bid increment.
For example, if the previous highest bidder had a maximum bid of $100, and you enter a maximum bid of $200, the new highest bid will be $110.
- If your maximum bid is lower than another client’s maximum bid, the other client’s highest bid will automatically be increased to the amount of your maximum bid. You will have the option to then increase your maximum bid again.
3. Auction Guarantees & Liability
- While WHC has a high success rate at securing most of the domains it receives bids for, the drop process is highly competitive between registrars. You understand and agree that WHC does not guarantee it will successfully secure the specific domain name you have bid on and can in no way be held liable for failing to secure a dropping domain name on your behalf.
- In the event that WHC does not secure the domain you have requested in a bid, you will not be billed or charged for that domain.
- WHC shall not be held liable regarding the use of its Domain Auction System and, without limitation, all terms and conditions of the service agreement regarding the limitation of the liability of WHC shall automatically apply to the Domain Auction System and be applicable hereunder with all necessary adaptations.
- In any event, and regardless of any demand or request from anyone, WHC’s liability shall be limited to amounts paid for WHC’s Auctions.
4. Additional Considerations
- Bids over C$10,000 may be subject to additional verification.
- Failure to meet the Auction requirements may result in your domain request being cancelled, your domain name order or assignment being revoked, or your WHC account being suspended or closed.
- WHC reserves the right at its entire discretion to refuse auction services to any client or user.
- WHC is not the owner of the Domain names listed for auction and WHC does not control the quality or availability of such Domain which may be withdrawn at any time by the seller or by anyone acting on behalf of the seller.
- On occasion, WHC may update or change the way its auction processes work in order to improve its flows or fix bugs and issues. By completing bidding in an auction, you agree to abide by the current version of WHC’s terms and conditions, including the Auction terms.
- You hereby appoint WHC as your representative and designated agent for the purpose of making any and all changes of registration information with the domain name provider and you hereby authorize WHC and its representatives to act on your behalf for all intent and purposes regarding all necessary changes to the Domain registration following successful auction process.
- You further declare that you are not violating anyone’s rights and privileges regarding the Domain and more specifically, that you are not infringing upon anyone’s rights over the Domain. You also agree to keep WHC free from any claim and liability regarding the acquisition of the Domain.