Go Green with Web Hosting Canada on Earth Day
Earth Day, a reminder to take time and think about how our actions affect the world we share. But while we examine our own transportation habits or ponder how to make our homes more energy efficient, why not take a moment to think about going (or being) green on the web?
We often think of the virtual world as being separate from our own but the Internet runs on servers that consume electricity, causing a real world environmental impact. Since 70% of Canadians believe reducing the energy we consume is important, choosing a green hosting provider can play a part.
What sets a Green Web Hosting provider Apart from Another?
Cloud and hosting providers can substantially reduce their carbon footprint by optimizing their operations in 3 important areas:
- Type of power: fast servers require electricity to run but where that electricity comes from makes a big difference.
Coal creates roughly 200 pounds of CO2 per KWH, natural gas 130 pounds, while wind, solar and hydro produce near-zero CO2 emissions.Web Hosting Canada datacenters rely almost exclusively on Hydroelectricity, generating substantially lower emissions.
- Type of servers: Just as light bulbs have become more energy efficient (LEDs consume roughly 75% less energy than halogen bulbs), so too have servers.
The two main types of storage on servers are mechanical drives (also called hard drives) and solid-state drives (SSD). With no moving parts, greater speed and efficiency, SSDs generally use only a third of the energy needed for hard drives performing the same task.
- Type of Cooling: While operating, servers produce a significant amount of heat and require cooling to ensure optimal performance.
Air conditioning is a great invention for people but not for the environment. A 2.5 ton central air conditioning unit consumes about 3500 watts per hour while a ceiling fan consumes 15 to 90 watts per hour. The type of cooling system that a datacenter uses drastically affects its environmental impact.WHC's datacenters ensure energy-efficient cooling with natural outdoor air and water cooling systems.
- We’re saving trees by going paperless. You’ll never get a paper bill from us (so make sure your email works! :)
- WHC incentives employee use of public transit or Bixi, Montreal’s public bicycle program.
- We recycle (doesn’t everybody by now?)
And that’s not all!
Save 51% on Green Web Hosting
Sign up for Web Hosting and save 51%.
Let’s work together to make Canada Green.
Happy Earth Day from the WHC team!
Also on the WHC Blog
5 Small Business Tips For Going Green in 2019
It's no secret that environmental issues are of concern to most Canadians. In fact, 50% of Canadians say they will not consider a political party unless the party has a commitment to fighting climate change. 78% of Canadians...Read full article
6 WordPress Plugins Every Canadian Website Should Consider
WordPress is a great platform to build your website on, but with over 55,000 different plugins available to install, choosing the most useful ones can be a challenge. To help you save time and get the most out of working...Read full article
How can we help?
Our friendly customer service team is available right now.