By Canadians, for Canadians
The world’s most popular domain
Show your roots with Quebec’s new domain
Cheer on your favorite team with .hockey
Web Hosting Canada gives you more. With each new domain name registration, you also get:
Domain Essentials – FREE with every domain
- Advanced DNS Servers
- Full control over A, MX, CNAME records
- URL Forwarding
- Domain Name Locking
- WHOIS Information Management
- Easy Renewal Management
NEW DOMAINS TYPES ARE HERE
The era of new domain types is here with hundreds of new domain combinations to choose from. In addition to the traditional .COM and .CA domains, you can now reserve domains tailored to your specific needs or industry, such as .golf, .club, .science. You can get creative with fun domains such as .guru, .ninja and .lol, or find great alternatives with .site and .online
View Domain Types & Pricing »
Reserve Your Domain Today »
DOMAIN TYPES & PRICING
Save big on domains with Web Hosting Canada. With pricing in Canadian dollars, you’re also saving up to 40% compared to other providers charging in US$!
Domain Names: Your Questions, Our Answers
What Is a Domain Name & How Do I Get One?Domain names like yourcompany.com make it easy for potential customers to find you on the Internet. It maps out a human-readable word or phrase (say, jonathanscafe.com) to a computer readable Internet address (called IP address) allowing your clients and visitors to view and use your website, shopping cart, and communicate with you via email.
Everyone can get a domain name. While some domain types have certain conditions (.CA domains require you to be a Canadian, for example) most can be reserved by paying the corresponding registration fees, on a first-come-first-served basis. You can register most domains for up to 10 years, and then may renew them at any given time, at their then current renewal rate.
To register your own domain name, simply complete a search and registration form on this very page.
Which Domain Name Should I Choose?Picking the right domain is a crucial step in getting your website or business online. Here are a few tips to help you pick the perfect domain:
- Make it easy to type and easy to remember. Keep in mind that you’ll occasionally give people your domain over the phone or in person. If they can’t spell it out later, they might not find you online! Short and sweet often works best.
- Make it Unique. Avoid confusion with your competitors, or you may accidentally end up sending them some of your business!
- Use keywords that accurately describe your product, services, or brand. This will help your website get better rankings in search engines such as Google. Your domain could, for example, include the city that you’re operating in, one of your main products, or your brand.
- Pick the right domain type. With over 300 new domain endings to choose from, you are now in a unique position to select a domain type that more closely describes your business. You can target clients in a geographic location (.CA or .QUEBEC), by hobby (.hockey, .soccer, .golf) or even with a bit of humor (.lol, .ninja, .wtf). By using one of the new domain types, you are also greatly increasing your chances of finding an available domain with the keywords you need.
- Register multiple relevant domains. This could include domain misspellings, useful variants, or geographically targeted domains. And you don’t need to build separate websites for each domain: you can easily redirect them to your primary domain. Several companies choose to protect their brands by registering their domain with multiple popular domain extensions.
- Do your research and make sure your domain choice is not copyrighted by someone else. It will help avoid costly legal issues that may cost you more than just your domain!
How Can I Transfer My Domain Name to Web Hosting Canada?You can transfer any active domain to Web Hosting Canada by using our domain transfer order form.
Before transferring your domain, you will need to:
- Obtain your domain’s transfer key (also called AUTH key or EPP code). This is a password that protects your domain from being transferred without your authorization. Ask your current provider for this key, and enter it when requested during your transfer order with Web Hosting Canada.
- Unlock your domain. Most domains will be locked with their current providers to prevent unauthorized transfer. You may be able to unlock your domain directly from your provider’s domain management portal or by contacting them directly.
- Ensure the email address of the domain’s Administrative contact of your domain is in fact an email address that you have access to, and that any Domain Privacy is disabled. You can view your domain’s current information using any WHOIS lookup tool such as easywhois.com
This information should be requested from your current domain registrar or reseller. If you are unsure who you’ve registered your domain name with, please try to find a payment invoice with the company’s name or identify them by performing a WHOIS lookup and get in touch with them directly.
Once started, a domain transfer may take up to 5 days to complete (.CA domains generally transfer within minutes). You may be asked to confirm your request by clicking on a link that will be sent to you by email, and you will receive an email confirmation from us once the transfer has been completed. You will then be able to manage your domain and update your nameservers from your Client Area.
When you transfer your domain registration, you are also automatically adding one year to your domain’s expiration date. So for example if your domain expires in 2020 and you transfer it today, its expiry date will be in 2021 avec your transfer. This ensures that you do not lose any of the time you already paid for your domain with another provider.
If you have any additional questions about your domain’s transfer, please get in touch with our friendly support team for immediate assistance.
What is Privacy Protection and Why Do I Need it?Privacy Protection is a security service that helps protect your private information on the Internet. When registering any new domain, registration authorities require you to submit your personal information including your name, email, phone number, and full address. This information is then made public on the WHOIS database, a massive collection of all registered domains and their owners, intended to provide transparency on the Internet. Unfortunately, this database is nowadays used by spammers, hackers, and identity thieves to spam your email, hack your website, or steal your identity.
With Privacy Protection all your private information is automatically hidden and replaced with that of the Privacy Protection service, effectively hiding all your personal information from prying eyes and protecting your inbox for unwanted spam. Privacy Protection is available for a small yearly supplement, and can be requested during your new domain’s order process, or added from your Client Area. It’s strongly recommended for all new domain registrations, and is included for free with .CA domains.
What Is Anycast DNS and How Does It Help Me?DNS (Domain Name System) is a technology that powers the backbone of the internet, allowing the mapping of domain names to servers that hold the data of your website and email. Before someone can reach your website, they need to communicate with the DNS servers to obtain the actual location of your website’s data. Traditional DNS servers are physically located in fixed locations around the world, often thousands of kilometers from your website visitor’s location. This causes an additional delay before you or your clients can reach your website.
With Anycast DNS technology, your website’s DNS information is automatically copied to dozens of locations around the world (instead of just one), allowing your clients to automatically fetch the information from the location that’s closest to them, thus improving your website’s initial load time.
Web Hosting Canada’s Anycast DNS system has been built from the ground up with Canadians in mind, and includes 10 points of presence in Canada alone, to ensure the fastest possible domain resolution times for you and your clients. There are also points of presence in Europe, Asia, and the US, to make sure even those halfway around the world get near-instant access to your website! Anycast DNS is included with our Canadian Web Hosting or can be activated by ordering the Domain Manager PRO addon for your domain.
How Do I Manage My Domain Name?Your domain names can easily be managed from your Client Area. You’ll be able to:
- Update your nameservers
- Manage your advanced DNS settings (A Record, CNAME, TXT and MX)
- Manage URL Forwarders
- Update your WHOIS Contact Information
- Manage Privacy Protection
- Manage your Domain Lock
With the Domain Manager PRO addon, you can also take advantage of premium features:
- Anycast DNS
- Email forwarders
- AntiSpam Rules
Why should I register/transfer my domain names with Web Hosting Canada?
Here are just a few reasons:
- Free features with every domain, including URL forwarding, DNS Hosting, DNS Record Management and Domain Locking
- Useful low-cost addons like Privacy Protection, Email forwarding and DNS Anycast technology to speed up domain name resolution time worldwide.
- Easily connect a new website, blog, or professional email on your new domain through our intuitive Client Area.
- The lowest prices in the industry. Pay in Canadian dollars and save up to 40% over competitors charging in USD!
- 24/7 assistance from real experts, by phone, email, and live chat
- Increased trust and offered by a CIRA-accredited registrar that manages tens of thousands of domains every day.
Search for Your Perfect Domain Today